Subject: IAUC 7086: 1999B; 1999A; V1333 Aql
From: IAUC mailing list <[email-masked]>

Circular No. 7086
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
Mailstop 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
[email-masked] or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] (science)
URL http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html  ISSN 0081-0304
Phone 617-495-7244/7440/7444 (for emergency use only)

V1333 AQUILAE
     P. J. Callanan, University College, Cork; A. V. Filippenko,
University of California at Berkeley; and M. R. Garcia, Harvard-
Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, write:  "We imaged the
transient low-mass x-ray binary Aql X-1 = V1333 Aql with the Near
Infrared Camera on Keck I on 1998 Sept. 29.30 UT, while Aql X-1 was
in quiescence according to XTE ASM observations.  Our K-band images
clearly resolve V1333 Aql into two stars, with a separation of 0".46.
The stars lie approximately along the east-west direction, with the
easterly star contributing 60 percent of the combined flux at K.
Z-band (about 1.05-micron) observations indicate that this star is
also somewhat bluer than its neighbor, and we speculate that this
may be the true infrared/optical counterpart of Aql X-1.  Further
analysis is in progress to constrain the contamination of the V1333
Aql optical flux due to the line-of-sight interloper."

                      (C) Copyright 1999 CBAT
1999 January 15                (7086)            Daniel W. E. Green