Subject: IAUC 6933: SGR 1900+14; XTE J2012+381; XTE J1748-288
From: quai@cbatmpc (IAUC mailing list)

Circular No. 6933
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
Mailstop 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
[email-masked] or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] (science)
URL http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html
Phone 617-495-7244/7440/7444 (for emergency use only)

XTE J2012+381
     P. Callanan and J. McCarthy, University College, Cork; and M.
Garcia and J. McClintock, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics, report:  "Observations of the XTE J2012+381 error
region (IAUC 6920, 6927) were performed using the Cerro Tololo
1.5-m telescope (+ CIRIM detector) on June 1.36, 2.35, 3.35, and
4.36 UT.  The J and K magnitudes of the object near the radio
position (IAUC 6924) were 15.0 +/- 0.1 and 14.3 +/- 0.1,
respectively.  No variability at more than the 10-percent level was
observed in the J and K bands between each night.  Closer
inspection of those images with a FWHM of < 1" reveals an apparent
southeast-northwest elongation of this object, indicating that this
is a composite image of two stars about 1" apart.  This confirms
the detection of the faint red companion to USNO 1275.13846761
found by Hynes and Roche (IAUC 6932).  As the position of the
northwest star is consistent with the improved radio position (IAUC
6932), it may be the true counterpart to the x-ray source.  Further
observations, especially in conditions of good seeing, are
encouraged."

                      (C) Copyright 1998 CBAT
1998 June 5                    (6933)            Daniel W. E. Green