Subject: IAUC 6922: 1998ce; XTE J2012+381
From: quai@cbatmpc (IAUC mailing list)

Circular No. 6922
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
Mailstop 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
[email-masked] or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] (science)
URL http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html
Phone 617-495-7244/7440/7444 (for emergency use only)

XTE J2012+381
     M. R. Garcia, J. E. McClintock, P. Berlind, and E. Barton,
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics; and P. Callanan,
University College, Cork, report:  "Spectra and photometry of the
possible counterpart to XTE J2012+381 (Wagner et al., IAUC 6920)
with the Mt. Hopkins 1.5-m and 1.2-m telescopes show that this star
is a heavily reddened M giant.  Photometry on May 28.312-28.469 UT
yields V = 19.7 +/- 0.2, R = 16.3 +/- 0.1, and I = 12.2 +/- 0.1,
with no detected variability.  The apparent brightening described
on IAUC 6920 is most probably an artifact of the extreme red colors
and the mismatch in the bandpasses of the LONEOS images (which used
an unfiltered CCD) and the DSS images.  Neither our photometry nor
that on IAUC 6920 provides any evidence that this star is the
counterpart to XTE J2012+381."

                      (C) Copyright 1998 CBAT
1998 May 29                    (6922)            Daniel W. E. Green