Subject: IAUC 6792: GRB 971214; C/1997 T1
From: quai@cbatmpc (IAUC mailing list)

Circular No. 6792
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
Mailstop 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
[email-masked] or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] (science)
URL http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html
Phone 617-495-7244/7440/7444 (for emergency use only)

GRB 971214
     M. R. Garcia, A. Muench, and E. Tollestrup, Harvard-
Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics; and P. J. Callanan and J.
McCarthy, University College, Cork, report on observations made
with the Whipple Observatory 1.2-m telescope (+ STELIRCAM) in bands
J and K during Dec. 15.519-15.562 and 16.524-16.569 UT (limiting
mag K = 18.5, J = 20.0), in which the K-band and Dec. 16 J-band
images cover the entire revised (1'-radius) error circle reported
by Antonelli et al., above:  "We find a limit of 1 mag to the
variability of the dozen stars seen within the error circle; this
upper limit is applicable at the position of the fading optical
counterpart reported by Halpern et al. (IAUC 6788).  Our images
suffer due to light scattered from HR 103690, which covers about
half of the revised error box."

                      (C) Copyright 1997 CBAT
1997 December 19               (6792)            Daniel W. E. Green