Subject: IAUC 6661: SN 1997cn; GRB 970508
From: dgreen@cfa0 (Daniel W. E. Green)

Circular No. 6661
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
Mailstop 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
[email-masked] or FAX 617-495-7231 (subscriptions)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] (science)
URL http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/cbat.html
Phone 617-495-7244/7440/7444 (for emergency use only)

GRB 970508
     M. Garcia, D. Moraru, and J. McClintock, Harvard-Smithsonian
Center for Astrophysics; C. R. Robinson and C. Kouveliotou,
Universities Space Research Association and Marshall Space Flight
Center; and J. van Paradijs, University of Amsterdam and University
of Alabama, Huntsville, report:  "Observations with the Mount
Hopkins 1.2-m telescope in the R band during nonphotometric
conditions, spanning May 12.177-12.247 UT, show that the
counterpart found by Bond (IAUC 6654) was 0.77 +/- 0.09 fainter
than the star 13" to the north, corresponding to R = 20.47 +/- 0.09
using the calibration from Schaefer et al. (IAUC 6658).  Eleven
consecutive integrations of 300-s duration each are consistent with
a steady source having only the expected 0.08-mag statistical
fluctuations."

                      (C) Copyright 1997 CBAT
1997 May 15                    (6661)            Daniel W. E. Green