You Light up my Life
Teachers and Students
Internet Sites | Children's Books | Folklore & Mythology
Science Behind It
- How Far Does Light Go? - A wonderful site where the debate about the nature of light sits. Students must prepare arguments with evidence to support their theory about whether light travels on forever or if it stops after a while. Good fun!
- Shadow and Light science activities - A short list of activities for students about light and shadow designed by an undergraduate Education major in New Foundland.
- What is Light and How Do We Explain It? -
A National Science Teachers Association lesson on the nature of light.
- Projecting Shadows - Fantastic interactive site about how to make shadows from the Light/Block/Shadow technique. Wonderful introduction to shadows! (The site is meant to explain how CAT scans work...)
Sunlight and Us
- Sunlight and the Skin - National Institutes of Health Consensus Development
Conference Statement about sunlight and its effect on the skin.
- The Energy Story: Solar Energy - Aimed towards children, this is a short introduction about solar energy. Contains photos and pictures drawn by students.
- Solar Thermal Energy - This is a nice site which tells about solar energy.
- The Shadow Book by Bernice DeRegniers. Harcourt, 1960.
- Shadows, Here, There, and Everywhere by Ron Goor. Crowell, 1981.
- Shadows and Reflections by Tana Hoban. Greenwillow, 1990.
- What Does the Sun Do? by Jean Kenney. W. R. Scott, 1967.
- Raven by Gerald McDermott. Scholastic, 1993. The classic Native American tale of how light came to be on the world.
- Sun Song by Jean Marzollo. HarperCollins, 1995. A lovely description of the coming and passing of a day on a little farm.
- Word Lore - Carl's lessons on exploring words we use in this curriculum, such as where did the word "light" come from, or what is the difference between "shade" and "shadow"?
- The Story of Gylfi - Carl has translated portions of the Prose Edda which include the story of a king who goes to the gods in search of answers about the nature of the world.
Folk Ways and Light
You Light Up My Life | Table of Contents | ECT Home Page
WebMaster Tania Ruiz
Last updated October 1, 1997